Thursday, August 2, 2007

Get Out and Vote!

Today is election day in my hometown. We are electing a brand new mayor along with a bunch of city council folks. Good times. Voting is one of those issues I get all preachy and annoying about. In honor of that, here is a mini-showcase of items you can buy on etsy to help show your support of the process.

Are you registered to vote?



"Suffrage is the pivotal right."
Susan B. Anthony



"Lower voter participation is a silent threat to our democracy...
It under-represents young people, the poor, the disabled,
those with little education, minorities and you and me."

Nancy Neuman




"People who don't vote have no line of credit with people who are elected
and thus pose no threat to those who act against our interests."

Marian Wright Edelman




"Those who stay away from the election think that one vote will do no good:
'Tis but one step more to think one vote will do no harm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson




"To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers.
One who does not vote has no right to complain."
Louis L'Amour



3 comments:

bencandance said...

Great items! I'm not really 'political' but I like those fused glass pendants. Also love the horror-socks below! :)


http://bencandance.blogspot.com/

pollyhyper said...

Great choices!
I have a shirt (not Etsy, but cafepress) that says "Vote or Shut Up" which I wear to the polls every time I go.

If you haven't already, you simply MUST check out Ben can Dance's blog. It's one of my faves!

disciple said...

I had a Shirt that says "No Excuse for Abuse", which I wore one time and got arrested.

I vote for Arnold Swartzenegger and Jesse “the Body” Ventura to stop child abuse once and for all!